Insanity Max Interval Circuit.
Detailed Reviews & Insight.
Detailed Reviews & Insight.
With this workout is the first Max workout of the second month, and you’ll come to it fresh (or not so fresh) from your third fit test. Your Recovery Week now behind you, your body rested and strong, it’s time to throw yourself into the next level of INSANITY.
Max Interval Circuit Takeaways & Pro Tips
Max Interval Circuit Details
The first thing you’ll notice when you press play is the duration of the workout. At about an hour in total, and the main workout is just shy of forty minutes all told. That might take you back a bit-the main workout is as long as some of the entire workouts from the first month.
Don’t panic! You’re coming into this month with much greater strength, greater power and endurance, and if you keep mentally sharp and focused, you should be able to get through Max Interval Circuit with no problem. Read this review, figure out what’s coming your way, pace yourself and you’ll do great!
The warm-up consists of ten minutes worth of exercises, broken down into three identical sets. As usual, these sets are repeated at greater and greater intensities, with the last being an all-out effort. The first two are roughly four minutes long, and the last max set is only two minutes, but since you’re supposed to red-line it, those 2 minutes will seem to last forever. Remember, as far as ‘warm-ups’ go, this is pretty intense, so you may want to pre-warm-up before hitting the warm-up
- Jumping Jacks – Arms Up
- 123 Heisman
- Jump Rope Side-Side
- High Knees – Arms Out
- Switch Kicks
- Hit the Floor
- Side-Side Floor Hops
At the end of the warm-up you get a thirty second water break, and then a solid five minute stretch which is composed of the familiar yoga stretches, pelvic openers, hamstring and thigh extensions. Push to get the most out of these, don’t just use the stretch as a time to get your breath back. These stretches will make sure you avoid injury in the next hour, so work into them and make sure to loosen up. After the stretch you have another 30 second water break, and then it’s show time.
The first group of exercises is repeated three times in three identical sets. Each set has four moves, and each set is performed at higher and higher intensity levels, with the last having an extra move added to the end. The Round lasts about 11 minutes all told, with a water break between each one, and is pretty rough. The exercises are:
- Pedal/Power Lunges (Sprint in place, and then drop into deep lunges, one on each side, arms up).
- Ski Abs /Jacks/In & Out/Oblique (Do the following four times: start in plank, then jump your feet up from side to side for ski abs, then do push-ups where you kick your feet out wide like a jumping jack, then jump your feet in and back out in plank position, and finally bring each knee up to touch your elbow for the obliques).
- Power Strike (Lunge on the left side, punch down twice, do the same on the other side, repeat).
- Frog Jumps (I hate these! Wide squat stance, touch floor, jump up and back, hands grabbing sky, then down, touch floor, forward, repeat)
The final set has 1 minute of Football Runs/Cross Jacks added on for fun.
The second round is similar in set-up and duration to the first: three sets, with an extra move added to the final one.
- Hook Jumps. (Throw four hook punches up high, then four low, then do four high jumps and switch sides).
- High Knees with Twist. (Run in place with high knees, twisting your torso so as to bring elbows down in opposite directions).
- High-Low Jab with Squat. (Jump high and punch to the side, then punch low when you land in a squat).
- Floor Switch Kicks. (This is the move the girl is doing on the CD cover-get on all fours, belly to the ceiling, and then kick up with each leg).
Just like the first round, the third set of round 2 is followed by an additional exercise: 1-2-3 Jab Across.
Once again, the same format as the previous two: three sets of the same exercises, for a total of ten minutes combined. However, this time there is no additional exercise. This final round is rough folks, but hang in there!
- Side Suicide Jumps. (Drop into a push-up position, jump to the left, leap up, drop and do the right side).
- Squat Hooks. (Go into a deep squat and then hook punch, alternating hands).
- Full Body Drill. (ROUGH. Drop into the push-up position, run in place eight times, do walking push-ups, then do eight wide knees, and finish up by running in place).
- Plank Punches. (Get in a plank position, and punch forward, alternating hands).
Follow this up with a water break and cool down stretch, and then you’re done! Collapse, vomit, lie on your back, or stagger around drunkenly until you get your breath back. Congratulations, you’ve just dominated your first Max workout, and now know what you’re in for in this second month. Remember: few people get as far as this, and thus if you are here, you’ve proven yourself to be exceptionally determined and fit!
New 14-Day Free Trial!
Insanity has been Beachbody’s #1 seller 10 years in a row and for good reason: it works. Shaun T created this program in 2009 with the hope of helping people achieve extreme fitness results within 60 days. The program is not easy. There’s no way to sugarcoat it. But what we can tell you is that it has everything that you need to succeed: a comprehensive calendar, 12 amazing 45 minute workouts and an easy to follow nutrition plan.
- Stream 1,100 + Workouts
- Get personalized fitness support
- Try Risk Free